Scottie Girgus selected to receive TAIS Hubert Smothers Award for excellence in teaching.
We are thrilled to share that the Tennessee Association of Independent Schools (TAIS) is awarding our very own Scottie Girgus the prestigious Hubert Smothers Award for Teaching Excellence this year.
The Hubert Smothers Award is presented to teachers within TAIS who have evidenced a deep commitment to the teaching profession and who have demonstrated excellence in all they do. The criteria for nomination are substantial and far-reaching. A nominee must:
• Have 20 years in the teaching profession
• Be a "life-long learner" and demonstrate an enthusiasm for teaching
• Have a long-term positive impact on students
• Have exhibited leadership in extra-curricular activities that involve education
• Have a positive relationship with colleagues and administration
• Possess a sensitivity to the needs of students and work unselfishly toward their development
• Make contributions to further education beyond the school community and impact the wider local, state, or national educational community
Scottie Girgus has been an English teacher in Harpeth Hall's Upper School for more than 28 years, and her positive impact on students, colleagues, the Harpeth Hall community and beyond continues to be profound. She will be honored for her achievement at the TAIS conference on November 4th. The Harpeth Hall community is incredibly grateful for Ms. Girgus and her outstanding contributions to our school, and we are proud she was selected by the TAIS for this well-deserved honor!