Congratulations to Olivia Finlayson '24, Gold medal winner and eight other students, Silver medal winners!
Last month, 13 students from the state of Tennessee were chosen as winners of National Scholastic Writing awards. Nine of those 13 writers are Harpeth Hall students. One of our nine students was awarded a Gold medal. She is one of only two writers to receive this honor in the state of Tennessee. Harpeth Hall is very proud to announce and congratulate the following students:
- Olivia Finlayson (7th grade) Gold medal -- Poetry category
- Josey Beavers (7th grade) Silver medal -- Short Story
- Janet Briggs (10th grade) Silver medal -- Critical Essay
- Quinlan Cyr (10th grade) Silver medal -- Poetry
- Jane Flautt (12th grade) Silver medal -- Poetry
- Cole Hastings (12th grade) Silver medal -- Critical essay
- Kathryn Jenkins (12th grade) Silver medal -- Poetry
- Caroline Seehorn (8th grade) Silver medal -- Critical essay
- Hav Whiting (11th grade) Silver medal -- Poetry
(not pictured in the photo)
Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation's youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated. Each year, increasing numbers of teens participate in the program, and become a part of their community of young artists and writers, filmmakers and photographers, poets and sculptors, video game artists and science fiction writers, along with countless educators who support and encourage the creative process.
Through the Scholastic Awards, teens in grades 7–12 from public, private, or home schools can apply in 29 categories of art and writing for their chance to earn scholarships and have their works exhibited and published. A noteworthy roster of past winners includes Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Richard Avedon, Robert Redford, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King and John Updike.
As was announced in an earlier website post, Harpeth Hall performed extremely well this year:
- 115 total Scholastic Awards were given to 78 Harpeth Hall students at the regional level
- 25 entries received regional Gold Key awards and advanced to the national competition
- 9 National medals were awarded: one gold (Olivia Finlayson, poetry) and eight silver (list above)
Other regional stats include:
- 57 national medals were awarded students in Tennessee
- 31 of those students attend schools in Middle Tennessee
- 17 of those students attend schools in Nashville
- 9 of those students attend Harpeth Hall
We could not be more proud and excited for these students and for all of our Harpeth Hall award winners! We look forward to reading more of their work in the years to come. Congratulations!