Payroll and Human Resource Manager
The Harpeth Hall School, a college preparatory school for girls in grades 5-12 in Nashville, TN, seeks a Payroll and Human Resources Manager. The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and five years’ experience with complex payroll and HRIS systems. The Payroll and Human Resources Manager is highly detail oriented, accurate, and meets deadlines.
This is a full-time, exempt position and is in the office Monday through Friday with typical hours of 8:00a.m. – 4:30p.m. The Payroll and Human Resources Manager is responsible for the bi-weekly payroll process, benefits coordination and compliance, and human resources processes. The position reports to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Solely responsible for processing bi-weekly payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees including reviewing and importing hours from the time and attendance system, PTO, entering tax and direct deposit information, benefits deductions, administering regulatory requirements (e.g., garnishments and support orders), and other adjustments to pay as necessary. Verify accuracy of all data for each payroll.
- Assure accurate payout of budgeted salary and stipend amounts including tracking any changes.
- Complete all verifications of employment and income in a timely manner.
- Respond to all unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain updated and accurate employee records in payroll/HRIS systems. Input new hires into the system and process terminated employees. Confirm address and other employee information updates in the system.
- Maintains complete electronic employee personnel files, records, and other documentation for employees.
- Assist with the setup of online open enrollment process for all benefits.
- Monitors enrollment processes and adds or deletes employees from applicable benefits coverage as required.
- Calculates and reconciles amounts due to the respective vendors and submits invoices for timely payment through Accounts Payable or remits via online transmission, when applicable. Provide Accounts Payable with supporting documentation for online remittances in order that information is complete within Accounts Payable system.
- Reconciles invoices due to vendors for benefits coverage, etc.
- Acts as a resource for eligible faculty/staff on available benefits and answers payroll/benefit questions.
- Tracks vacation, sick, personal, and other leave.
Employment Law and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with and employee awareness of all applicable local, state, and federal wage and hour laws/regulations.
- Administer FMLA, statutory disability, paid family leave, and workers’ compensation requests, including the tracking of leaves and correspondence with employees; liaise between employee and workers’ compensation insurance company to assure a smooth claims process.
- Coordinate the annual benefit plan compliance tasks including: audit, non-discrimination testing, and Form 5500 filings.
- Prepare and timely submit regulatory employment reporting as required (i.e. EEO-1).
Hiring and Employee Management
- Assist in the recruitment process by posting open positions in the HRIS system and sharing links with the hiring team.
- Complete the recruitment cycle for new employees through onboarding and benefits selection process. Ensure completion of all new hire background checks, required government employment forms (I-9, W-4), and benefits selections.
- Enroll employees in online training including, sexual harassment/assault reporting, mandatory reporting for child abuse, non-discrimination, and blood borne pathogen training.
- Offboard employees who are leaving/retiring, including review of available benefit options. Provide exit survey to leaving employees and may sometimes conduct exit interviews.
- Support school-wide diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong Knowledge of all aspects of payroll processes and systems. Experience with a variety of payroll platforms a plus.
- Experience in Human Resources as a Generalist and has working knowledge of FMLA, workers’ compensation, benefits, processing of benefit-related invoices, and HR Generalist responsibilities.
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written.
- Thoroughness and attention to detail with ability to multitask.
- Ethical conduct.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn.
- Technologically savvy.
- Customer service attitude.
Harpeth Hall is committed to an inclusive program, and candidates with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion work are especially encouraged to apply.
Harpeth Hall offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package including health insurance plan, contribution to health savings account, 10% contribution to retirement plan after one year of service, generous time off including vacation, sick, personal, and holidays, and free lunch on school days.
Candidates should complete an online application and submit a letter of interest, resume, and references at https://www.harpethhall.org/about/career-opportunities.
Joining Our Community
The mission of The Harpeth Hall School is to education young women to think critically, lead confidently, and live honorably. To fully realize that mission, Harpeth Hall is committed to creating an environment in which every member of the community is seen, heard, and valued. We encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups for all open positions.
Interested candidates should complete the online employment application and upload a cover letter and resume. All materials should be addressed to: Office of Human Resources, 3801 Hobbs Road, Nashville, Tennessee, 37215.
Once a conditional offer of employment is made, background screening will be required. Employees must also provide appropriate documentation establishing their identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
We offer highly competitive compensation and benefits as well as opportunities for professional development. Questions can be directed to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-297-9543.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Harpeth Hall School is an equal opportunity employer. Faculty and staff are recruited, hired, and promoted without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age (40 or older), disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable local, state, or federal laws.